According to the National Safety Council, over 4 million car accident injuries occurred in the U.S. last year. The number of car accident injuries in the greater Largo, Florida area is particularly high. Several people walk away from their accidents with no apparent physical injuries. Some of these do not realize they are sustaining injuries until much later, on the other hand, others identify their injuries right away.
Types of Injuries
Injuries from an automobile accident can be classified in several ways. To illustrate the types of injuries, we will classify them in the following way:
- Bruise, scrapes, and cuts – may be caused by impact with the vehicle, broken glass or loose objects inside the car
- Closed head injuries – fluid or tissue damage inside the skull
- Sprains – not only of connective tissue but also of muscles in the back
- Fractured or broken bones – arms, legs, shoulder bones, ribs
- Joint injuries – particularly shoulders, knees, ankles and feet
- Internal bleeding
- Soft tissue injuries – sudden stretching of muscles and ligaments of the head, neck or back, most notably “whiplash”
Emotional and psychological injuries related to a car accident are the most subtle and may go undiagnosed. Indeed, when the symptoms show up, the accident may not initially be recognized as the cause.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder – which could last for months or years
What to Do If You Are In a Car Accident
If you are in a motor vehicle accident, whether in the Largo area or elsewhere, seek medical attention as soon as you can. Do not rely on whether you have noticeable injuries or not. You may feel that you are fine or believe you simply have a few cuts and bruises, when in fact you may have internal injuries you are not aware of such as whiplash or internal bleeding. There are injuries that may not be evident immediately after an auto accident and yet could cause serious long term complications.
How Coastal Chiropractic, Largo Can Help with Car Accident Injuries
There is wisdom in including a Doctor of Chiropractic as part of your professional medical treatment. Chiropractic produces numerous benefits, not to mention beneficial outcomes if you are injured in a car accident. Including:
- Reduce pain
- Support the body’s natural ability to heal
- Lessen stiffness and soreness
- Restore mobility to the neck and back
- Prevent minor injuries from becoming chronic conditions
Hopefully, you will not need the services of a chiropractor because of injuries due to an automobile accident. However, we are here for you in that case.