At Coastal Chiropractic, we are an office that cares deeply about our patients and the various issues that bring them to into our Seminole clinic every day. Most people know chiropractic care is a common form of treatment for injuries related to sports, car accidents, etc. But recently, there has been an increase in the number of people experiencing aches in their neck, back and even fingers caused by something we all use every day—technology. “Text neck” is a term, coined by a Florida chiropractor, for the aches and pains often associated with excessive cellphone use. While it is no new discovery that texting and the use of smartphones is on the rise, much of the conversation is centered on the social problems it is causing our society. Not enough people are realizing how technology can also take a negative toll on our physical health, as well. In this day in age, it is not just excessive cellphone use we need to worry about. Even for those of us that aren’t sitting at a desk from 9:00-5:00 p.m., five days a week, many of us often spend hours at a time hunched over a laptop or tablet. Between craned necks, drooping shoulders, and curved spines, we are constantly contorting our bodies into abnormal positions that cause damage to our neck, spine, and even hands!
Chiropractic care is becoming increasingly popular as people begin to experience the physical effects of excessive cellphone use, and we are happy to provide the residents of Seminole and Clearwater with innovative and beneficial treatments.
As our technology advances, these issues are only going to become more prevalent. For people who regularly have their faces buried in a screen, or hunched over a device to surf the internet and chat with friends, some of the issues they may end up experiencing in which they’ll need chiropractic care to correct include:
- Disc degeneration
- Tendonitis (now commonly referred to as “texting thumb”)
- Spinal arthritis
- Carpel tunnel
Coastal Chiropractic Care
If you are located in the Seminole or Clearwater area and believe you are experiencing symptoms of any of the above or associated conditions, some of the services we offer include:
- Corrective Exercises
- Postural Screening
- Massage Therapy
- Adjustments & Manipulations
Even if you have not yet begun to experience any negative side effects from excessive cellphone use, it is important to take preventative measures. Below are some chiropractic care tips for avoiding pain and injuries from tech devices:
- Always be aware of your posture/positioning when sitting at a computer or using your phone. Regularly check in with yourself to correct it when necessary.
- Whenever possible, keep your device at eye-level. If you work at a desk, the top of your computer screen should be directly at eye-level. Although it may feel a bit awkward, when texting, try holding your phone up to meet your eyes, instead of extending your neck downwards toward the phone.
- Limit your technology consumption. Not only will this benefit your physical health, but your mental health as well!
- Stay active. It is especially important for those who spend a lot of time on their phones and/or computers to balance their time by engaging in activities that allow their bodies to move around and stay in shape.
For more information about our chiropractic care services in Clearwater and Seminole, Florida areas, give our office a call today! 727-581-2774.